Based on Making Thyme for Health.
Ingredients: (makes sauce for 5)
- 1 package sliced button mushrooms
- 1 package dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 package cherry tomatoes
- Handful of fresh oregano
- 3 T tomato paste
- 1.5 t salt
- 5 cloves garlic
- Pasta (we used zoodles here)
- Rehydrate dried mushrooms in ~1.5 c boiling water and leave to the side to steep (I use my french press for this)
- In a food processor with the “shred” blade (or using the grater), shred button mushrooms, carrots, onion, and bell pepper.
- Place a large pan with a glug of oil at medium/medium high and add shredded veggies from step 2. Sweat, stirring occasionally, until not much water remains (10 min)
- Meanwhile, chop the garlic and half the cherry tomatoes. Once the mushrooms look plump and rehydrated, you can strain the juice into a spare bowl and dice the porcini. Pulse oregano with a bit of oil in your food processor to create a paste– or dice fine, if you have the patience :)!
- Add the garlic, cherry tomatoes, porcini, oregano, and tomato paste to the pan, and stir. Cook 3 min or so.
- Add ~ 1 c of the mushroom tea to the pot (and some red wine if you like) and cook without lid for ~10 min until reduced by half.
- If you like it a bit creamier/saucy-er blend 1/3 with your purreer of choice (hand blender, food processor, blender, etc). Season to taste– ours needed more salt and a heavy dose of cayenne pepper.
- Serve with pasta!
We made this with garlic bread and it was heaven.
We turned leftovers of this sauce into ziti!